You are welcome with your UAV in Malaysia
In Malaysia drones are divided into three categories:
- Small Unmanned Aircraft System: Drones with a maximum weight of up to 20 kilos
- Small Unmanned Surveillance Aircraft: Drones with a maximum weight of up to 20 kilograms with camera / microphone.
- Unmanned Aircraft System: All other drones heavier than 20 kg.
Drones like the DJI Mavic Pro / Air, DJI Phantom, 4 Yuneec Typhoon H fall into the second category.
These drones do not require further permission.
As long as you do not do the following things:
- Drone flights over inhabited area.
- Drone flights over more than 1,000 people.
- Drone flights over ships, vehicles.
- Drone flights within 50 meters of people.
- Drone landings / take off with people within 5 meters.
If you want to do the above, you must ask permission from the Department of Civil Aviation (DCA).
This license costs 250 RM, but hey... stick to the rules, then you can fly for free.
Maximum take-off weight: No limit
Maximum hight: 120 meters / 393 ft.
Maximum horizontal distance: In builded areas 450 meter (1,476 ft) , outside builded areas 750 meter (2,460 ft).
Insurance: Niet obligated, but recommended
Distance Airports / Heliports: 4.5 km / 3 mi.
Night flights: Prohibited
Prohibited: not in the neighborhood of military , ships, people, animals, government buildings, beaches.
Useful link: Civil Aviation Authority Malaysia (CAAM)
Contact information: email@example.com / +60 3 8871 4000